So this was going to be a blow-by-blow account of how I tried, and succeeded in, buying the lovely, intensely lovely, village house in Pui O against all odds. I was going to tell you about how the landlord told me I could buy the place for 3 million, then suddenly decided last week that the house now costs 5 million.
I was going to tell you about how I spent a week setting heaven and earth in motion to get a loan; through a broker and by approaching bank after bank directly. I was going to tell you about how they all turned me down because the house is old, I am old and I have only had my own business for years, a non-loanable situation compared to someone who’s been employed by some company for a week.
I was going to tell you about how I went from hope to despair and back to hope again, crying myself to sleep only to wake up in the morning full of hope – surely after all the work, love and money I have put into this place, justice would prevail?
Well, it all screeched to a halt this afternoon when I got an email from a geotechnical engineering company. It turns out that the slope behind my house, propping up the village above, has been deemed a dangerous slope in urgent need of repair. This could cost a million or more. As I can’t get a bank loan before the slope is fixed, that pretty much settles it.
Even if against all odds I could get a loan and did fix the slope, who is to say I wouldn’t be slapped with another terrible slope-bill ten years down the line, rendering the house unsaleable and not at all the investment for my real old age I was hoping it would be.
So has all my hard work come to naught?
Where will i go if I have to go?
Meanwhile I still have my brand-new hotel room downstairs up for rent, long (ish) or short-term.
Will post photos of it. As it is, I have to get drunk and fast. But I still have one, the best of all options, left: A MIRACLE.